Go Back   Russisk-Dansk Forum > English speaking forum

Old 15-11-2012, 09:11
Retired

My step sons mother in law.. (Wifes mother ) lives in a small village 3 hours soth of Kyiv. She teaches second level children in the local school. Her home is decorated in the traditional ways. Notice the trim at the roof. All hand made and painted.
There is an old 'stork' well outside. It's not used anymore but it could be used. Very unique and pretty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ukraine 10-11 (23) (Medium).jpg (98.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Ukraine 10-11 (24) (Medium).jpg (98.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Ukraine 10-11 (25) (Medium).JPG (96.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Ukraine 10-11 (27) (Medium).JPG (43.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Ukraine 10-11 (28) (Medium).JPG (68.7 KB, 8 views)
Old 15-11-2012, 09:23
Retired

In a nearby village of Moryntsi is the birth place of the famous Ukrainian poet and writer Taras Shevchenko. It's now a museum.

The white face is his 'death mask' taken post mortum. The portrait is hand stiched and took 2 years to complete it. It was amazing to see the skill that is shown!

The last photo is of Nikita Khruschev Primere from the Soviet era visiting the museum in the 1950's. Khrushchev's dacha is in Kyiv still.

Excuse the rather poor quality of some of the photo's. They were framed and behind glass and I couldn't get rid of the glare from the flash.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ukraine 10-11 (31) (Medium).jpg (100.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Ukraine 10-11 (35) (Medium).JPG (90.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Ukraine 10-11 (38) (Medium).JPG (52.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Ukraine 10-11 (39) (Medium).JPG (64.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Ukraine 10-11 (41) (Medium).JPG (84.5 KB, 8 views)
Old 15-11-2012, 09:36
Retired

Now I would like to know if you recognize this man. He was the first ruler of Kyiv-Rus. Ukraine used to own Russia! This is the man that combined them under his rule.

Who is it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ukraine 2011 368 (Medium).JPG (68.2 KB, 8 views)
Old 18-11-2012, 05:42

Default Hi Mike

Very very interesting to read about you and your family`s doings, I have been doing a lot of snowmobiledriving in Finland, so your pictures really pull memories. In Finland we vere running from the hot sauna to the hole in the ice, and had a short stay there, very refreshing.
Thermal baths under the open sky is really something.
Last summer we vere round Irkusk, lake Baikal and island Olhorn, that is so beautiful wild areas, we rented a whole house for small money for the stay at Olhorn, it included garden and sauna.
We went there by railroad from Novosibirsk, also worth experiencing.
I will put some pictures later.
How difficult is it to get visa for USA or Canada for my Russian family?

Greetings

FRONTERA

Last edited by FRONTERA; 18-11-2012 at 05:44. Reason: Poor Writing
Old 18-11-2012, 07:36
Retired

Hej Frontera!

From what I'm reading very soon there will be a 'visa free' exchange between Russia and the USA! That would be very good news for Russians and Americans. No visa's needed any more.
BUT I don't know exactly when this would happen. Maybe by next summer?

Snomobiling is one of the things I love best! I ride the American brand "Arctic Cat' mine is hotrodded some. It is now 180 horsepower and 1010 cubic centemeters. It is very fast when I want it to be!
I have a 'Dacha" that is 10 miles from the closest road and have many many miles of free area to ride in.
We don't have a sauna for it though. Our neighbor does have one and we use it once in a while.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0045 (Small).JPG (67.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg AkMike.jpg (46.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 18-11-2012, 08:39
Retired

No one has the answer to who this handsome man was?

( No it's not me either.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2008 Hunt 051 (Small).jpg (21.7 KB, 7 views)
Old 18-11-2012, 19:36

Default No one has the answer to who this handsome man was? ;)

I think it is Bohdan Khmelnytsky

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bohdan_Khmelnytsky
Old 18-11-2012, 21:27
Retired

Right on Rusanovska!

The second picture was taken at the site of his empires capitol south of Kyiv across the river from Kremenchug.
It's situated on the top of a hill that was fortified with a great view of the surrounding areas. I don't reacll the whole story but there are 2 springs nearby that is a religoius shrine based in some history. Everyone has a drink from the spring and it is supposed to bring good health and prosperity. It's not bad tasting either.

Have many been to Ukraine or down on the Crimean Pennsinula?
Stebastopol and Yalta are two of my favorite towns. The rich history is amazing to me.
Bellakalava is a wonderful little hamlet at the sides of a small fiord that comes in thru rock cliffs from the Black Sea. It's one of the sites of major battles from the Crimean War. Lord Tennyson (an Englishman) wrote of that battle in his poem ,"The Charge of the Light Brigade." We were required to read that poem many years ago when I was in school and I was amazed to be able to recall some of it when we visited there.

Since the USA is such a young nation I don't think we have the vast history of Europe or any of the 'Old World' I enjoy seeing the places that shaped our modern world so long ago.
I have been visited Denmark and Sweden back in 1990 during a visit to meet my brother in Germany. Copenhagen is a very clean city that I would like to return to someday. I still have my little statue of the Little Mermaid too!
Old 19-11-2012, 08:38

Default Denmark

If you like copenhagen! you for sure will love Jylland and Fyn, there are so many beautiful and historic places to see, you need a minimum of 3 months vacation just to reach the best places.

Here is one of my favorite places in Denmark
http://www.google.dk/search?q=r%C3%B...w=1440&bih=712

And not to forget the old town in Århus www.dengamleby.dk/the-old-town/

or this which in my opinion is one of the most beautiful areas in Denmark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=5ZZYdkt9UaY
Old 19-11-2012, 09:24
Retired

We drove from Germany up into Denmark and I think we went thru the Jylland area some. The name sounded familiar so I looked it up on the map. it was too quick of a trip but we saw some great sights during that trip.
When we left Copenhagen we took the ferry down to Poland then back into Germany.
I remember some Budweiser(also a beer name used here in the USA) beer on the ferry.. It was NOT good beer!